Skip to main content

Blog Journal 7

It's been hard to remember to use twitter twice a week, but I've been going on every Monday before class starts and also trying to go on at another point during the week. So far twitter has been a great way for my classmates and I to interact and answer each other's questions.

Using Diigo has been another good way for classmates to interact. We get to read what others are annotating and sharing, as well as give and receive feedback. The highlighting feature is a fantastic way to quickly get the jist of an article without having to read the entire thing.

During assignment 4 we had to create a web page, and during this I learned a lot about formatting. I had to teach myself things like embedding a calendar, linking web pages with images and many other things. My website is:http://swelker0.wixsite.com/eme2040

This is a screenshot of the header of the home page:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day

My prior experiences with technology are almost all school related. In high school we were loaned laptops for the year so technology could be integrated into our curriculum. We took online classes, and did online assignments for our in-person classes. I learned how to use Microsoft programs and how to research well online. Those same concepts I learned in high school are still applied almost every day during my college career. There are a quite a few things I hope to learn in this class. I want to deepen my understanding of what I already know about technology, and I want to learn new things about technology to prepare myself to become a teacher one day. I like to think that I know a decent amount about technology, but I know there is a lot that I can still learn through this class.

ILP #2 - Participation (Lynda Tutorial)

For this ILP I decided to utilize the website lynda.com to learn about educational technology. The tutorial I took was called "Powerpoint for Teachers: Creating Interactive Lessons"; it was about a 40 minute long tutorial that taught about changing the perspective of Powerpoint in classrooms. The lesson was broken down into 4 subcategories: 1) active learning in the classroom, 2) design effective Powerpoint slides, 3) create interactive lessons and activities, and 4) organize your classroom and curriculum with Powerpoint. In the first subsection the main topic was how to use technology in classrooms. The second subsection discussed topics such as the essentials to make an effective Powerpoint, and using speaker notes. The third subsection was the most in-depth and the topics that were addressed were using projectors and floor space effectively, student-centered and inquiry based learning, activity suggestions, hands-on learning with Powerpoint, and teaching adults in higher e...

Blog Journal 2

Technology has been a part of my education since I started elementary school. Once a week we had computer class, but as I moved further up in school computer use became more and more regular. Microsoft Word has most definitely been my most used program for school related tasks considering I've been using it to write papers since the 7th grade. I have used word for every kind of assignment imaginable, from English papers to Environmental Science worksheets to this very EME2040 journal assignment. Copyright and fair use was never explained to me until I got to college, so until last year I only ever had a very limited understanding of what those words meant. Now that I understand them more I am able to make my own judgements about what fair use is, and avoid using copyrighted materials in an unfair way. I believe that as a teacher the best practice to deal with copyrights and fair use of materials would be to explain it right off the bat to your students. If they understand that co...