Technology has been a part of my education since I started elementary school. Once a week we had computer class, but as I moved further up in school computer use became more and more regular. Microsoft Word has most definitely been my most used program for school related tasks considering I've been using it to write papers since the 7th grade. I have used word for every kind of assignment imaginable, from English papers to Environmental Science worksheets to this very EME2040 journal assignment.
Copyright and fair use was never explained to me until I got to college, so until last year I only ever had a very limited understanding of what those words meant. Now that I understand them more I am able to make my own judgements about what fair use is, and avoid using copyrighted materials in an unfair way. I believe that as a teacher the best practice to deal with copyrights and fair use of materials would be to explain it right off the bat to your students. If they understand that copying other people's work is stealing and illegal, it will hopefully deter them from doing so, which means you as the teacher will be able to avoid having to punish them.
One way to avoid issues with technology implementation in the classroom is to monitor students interactions online (within appropriate bounds). Like what is already done in most classes we take, the teacher should monitor the posts we are writing to each other to ensure that what is being said is appropriate. By doing this it reduces the chance of cyberbullying in the classroom. Coming from a small southern town, I've most definitely heard the "freedom of speech" excuse from students trying to get away with saying things that are not school appropriate. When setting up rules in the beginning of a school year I think it's extremely important to outline what kinds of language are appropriate in an online setting, and also what will not be tolerated. A third solution to a problem that could arise in a classroom that has implemented technology, would be to use a plagiarism checker like what we do here at FSU. Students may try to get away with submitting assignments that are copied and pasted, but with a program like TurnItIn not only would you be able to steer students away from copying because they will get caught, but also be able to catch them and punish them if they do decide to unfairly copy something.
Copyright and fair use was never explained to me until I got to college, so until last year I only ever had a very limited understanding of what those words meant. Now that I understand them more I am able to make my own judgements about what fair use is, and avoid using copyrighted materials in an unfair way. I believe that as a teacher the best practice to deal with copyrights and fair use of materials would be to explain it right off the bat to your students. If they understand that copying other people's work is stealing and illegal, it will hopefully deter them from doing so, which means you as the teacher will be able to avoid having to punish them.
One way to avoid issues with technology implementation in the classroom is to monitor students interactions online (within appropriate bounds). Like what is already done in most classes we take, the teacher should monitor the posts we are writing to each other to ensure that what is being said is appropriate. By doing this it reduces the chance of cyberbullying in the classroom. Coming from a small southern town, I've most definitely heard the "freedom of speech" excuse from students trying to get away with saying things that are not school appropriate. When setting up rules in the beginning of a school year I think it's extremely important to outline what kinds of language are appropriate in an online setting, and also what will not be tolerated. A third solution to a problem that could arise in a classroom that has implemented technology, would be to use a plagiarism checker like what we do here at FSU. Students may try to get away with submitting assignments that are copied and pasted, but with a program like TurnItIn not only would you be able to steer students away from copying because they will get caught, but also be able to catch them and punish them if they do decide to unfairly copy something.
Comments
Post a Comment