Skip to main content

Blog Journal 4

So far I haven't delved much into Twitter, but I have made an account (@saraheme2040), and followed some educator accounts. I made myself (and whoever else wants it) a note of what the twitter requirements for the class are so I wouldn't have to open the assignment page every time I wanted to make sure I was meeting the criteria. I tweeted a screenshot of that note for my first tweet! I also haven't interacted with anyone on twitter yet because I'm just getting started. Though I did have to use twitter for my ENC2135 class, and it was a quick and easy way to interact with my peers. We used it to answer each other's questions and I could definitely see us doing that in this class as well.

The digital divide affects students success in schools because some students are more technologically advanced than others. Some causes of the digital divide are access to internet in certain areas, money to purchase technology and generally not knowing how to use technology. Students who have access to the same technology that is in school at home are much more likely to be successful because they have the opportunity to practice outside of school. For example, a student who has a computer at home will already know how to navigate the computer, but to a student who has only been exposed to a computer in school this concept is completely foreign and they may fall behind because they cannot keep up with the class. The student who has been exposed has a much higher chance of educational success in a classroom that uses technology.

In my future classroom I foresee myself using technology as a teaching tool because it continues to become more and more prominent and effective. I already know how to use productivity software such as Microsoft Office, and I've used it in a school setting before so that will be an easy integration. My high school also used classroom management software (Skyward) to post attendance and report grades so I have experience with that both as a student and an (unofficial) teachers assistant. The software I picture using the least is apps because not all students will have access to the hardware needed to run them at home, and most school won't provide the devices to the teacher either. I went to the Marine and Oceanographic Academy for high school because I love science and now I really want to be a science teacher at the middle or high school level because of my experience. We had a lot of technology at our disposal so I hope I can do the same for my students in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day

My prior experiences with technology are almost all school related. In high school we were loaned laptops for the year so technology could be integrated into our curriculum. We took online classes, and did online assignments for our in-person classes. I learned how to use Microsoft programs and how to research well online. Those same concepts I learned in high school are still applied almost every day during my college career. There are a quite a few things I hope to learn in this class. I want to deepen my understanding of what I already know about technology, and I want to learn new things about technology to prepare myself to become a teacher one day. I like to think that I know a decent amount about technology, but I know there is a lot that I can still learn through this class.

ILP #2 - Participation (Lynda Tutorial)

For this ILP I decided to utilize the website lynda.com to learn about educational technology. The tutorial I took was called "Powerpoint for Teachers: Creating Interactive Lessons"; it was about a 40 minute long tutorial that taught about changing the perspective of Powerpoint in classrooms. The lesson was broken down into 4 subcategories: 1) active learning in the classroom, 2) design effective Powerpoint slides, 3) create interactive lessons and activities, and 4) organize your classroom and curriculum with Powerpoint. In the first subsection the main topic was how to use technology in classrooms. The second subsection discussed topics such as the essentials to make an effective Powerpoint, and using speaker notes. The third subsection was the most in-depth and the topics that were addressed were using projectors and floor space effectively, student-centered and inquiry based learning, activity suggestions, hands-on learning with Powerpoint, and teaching adults in higher e...

Blog Journal 2

Technology has been a part of my education since I started elementary school. Once a week we had computer class, but as I moved further up in school computer use became more and more regular. Microsoft Word has most definitely been my most used program for school related tasks considering I've been using it to write papers since the 7th grade. I have used word for every kind of assignment imaginable, from English papers to Environmental Science worksheets to this very EME2040 journal assignment. Copyright and fair use was never explained to me until I got to college, so until last year I only ever had a very limited understanding of what those words meant. Now that I understand them more I am able to make my own judgements about what fair use is, and avoid using copyrighted materials in an unfair way. I believe that as a teacher the best practice to deal with copyrights and fair use of materials would be to explain it right off the bat to your students. If they understand that co...